Covid - BASC Advice
Covid-19 restrictions update: new lockdown in England
BASC has been in contact with ministers, MPs and civil servants regarding the imminent national lockdown in England. Our interpretation of the information issued by government to date is as follows:
• Driven game shooting should cease on Thursday 5 November and is expected to resume on Wednesday 2 December. England will return to a local and regional approach on 2 December.
• BASC is lobbying to ensure that Covid-19-safe driven game shooting can resume when lockdown ends.
• Essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock may continue during the lockdown period.
• The government has stated that where people cannot work effectively from home they should continue to travel to work/attend their workplace. Game management and gamekeeping activities may continue during the lockdown period.
• Rough shooting, wildfowling and deer management may continue during the lockdown period as outdoor recreational activities, as long as you comply with the guidance. This includes making short journeys to your place of exercise, and you can only exercise with people you live with, your support bubble (if you are living alone), or one person from another household. Government guidance can be found here: www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november
• The government has ordered shooting ranges to close to reduce social contact.
• When shooting during lockdown, we would advise taking a copy of your shotgun or firearm certificate with you and paperwork for your permission to shoot on the land you are on.
• Everyone shooting during lockdown should consider the impact of their actions on the reputation of shooting.